Scholarships for International Students Offered by the Government of Canada 2023/24: The Government of Canada offers a number of scholarship programs to support candidates from other countries who wish to study, do research, or obtain professional development in Canada for a short period of time.
There are a variety of scholarship opportunities available through the Canadian Government Scholarships program, which has its administrative headquarters at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. The Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program, the Canada-Asean Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED), and the Study in Canada Scholarships are all included in the scholarship.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Government of Canada
Scholarship Type: Full Funding
Host Institution(s): University of Alberta, Canada
Scholarship Worth: Varies
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Undergraduate and Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
Scholarships from the Government of Canada for International Students 2023–2024 | DETAILS
The purpose of the scholarship program is to provide financial assistance to qualified overseas candidates who seek to pursue short-term educational opportunities, research endeavors, or professional development in Canada. Some of these programs are as follows:
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP):Undergraduate and graduate students from the Caribbean and South America
- Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) Undergraduate and graduate students from ASEAN member states
- Study in Canada Scholarships
Undergraduate and graduate students from:
Asia: Bangladesh, Nepal, Taiwan;
Europe: Turkey, Ukraine; The Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia;
Sub-Saharan Africa: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda.
Scholarship values vary depending on the duration and level of study. The table below summarizes the scholarship values for the different programs:
|Award Amount||Duration||Level of Study||Program|
|$15,900 CAD||8 months||Undergraduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$12,700 CAD||5-6 months||Graduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$11,100 CAD||5-6 months||Graduate||ELAP|
|$10,200 CAD||4 months||Undergraduate; Graduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$8,200 CAD||4 months||Undergraduate; Graduate||ELAP|
The Criteria for Eligibility
Applicants to the Government of Canada International Scholarships 2023/24 at the University of Alberta are required to meet the following criteria in order to be considered for the scholarships:
- An undergraduate applicant applying for a research-based experience is to provide a written institutional collaboration and student exchange agreement or a Letter of Invitation from the University of Alberta professor who has agreed to supervise you.
- For graduate applications, an inter-institutional agreement is desirable but not mandatory.
- Student applicants must be enrolled full-time in their proposed degree program at the time of application.
- Must be proficient in the language of instruction at the Canadian institution (English or French) before their arrival in Canada, as the scholarship does not cover language training.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the Government of Canada Scholarships 2023/24 at the University of Alberta are to ensure that they meet the eligible criteria for the scholarship before they can proceed to find a host professor/supervisor. Email professors you would potentially like to work with the following information:
- Your full name and contact information
- Your home University and home country
- Whether you are currently an undergraduate (bachelor) or graduate (master or doctoral) student
- Which year of your degree program you are in
- The full name of the scholarship program you would be applying for
- How long you wish to do research for (4 months, 5-6 months, 8 months)
- Your ideal start date (must finish no later than February 1 each year)
- Documents such as your CV/resume, university academic transcripts, and/or cover letter
- A link to the information for host supervisors
Once the applicant has found a potential host supervisor, the applicant will work together with their home institution and UAlberta host supervisor to gather the required supporting documents which will then be submitted while also completing the Electronic Application Form.
Application Deadline: Not specified